Infographic

Mary Encarnacion

Professor Stemberg

Technical Writing

May 17, 2022

Characteristics of RaDonda Vaught’s Trail: Reflection Essay

As a nursing major, I saw an opportunity to discuss the trial of Radonda Vaught as my infographic topic. Ex nurse RaDonda incorrectly administered a medication that led to the death of patient Charlene Murphy who was 75. She was punished with the revocation of her license and three years of probation. I was able to connect to the relevancy of ethical errors in public safety, and as we are college students, it was an area of concern for us all. My presentation style helped me remain focused and helped me have a clear idea of important points I wanted to bring up.

The way a person expresses their ideas is significantly influenced by their organizational structure. I chose an infographic with three separate boxes because I wanted to touch on specific aspects of RaDonda Vaugh’s case. These distinct boxes assisted me in narrowing my attention from my major point of crime vs honest error to the trial’s outcome, and finally the essence. I wanted the reader to comprehend the progression of the case at first, but we only had 5 minutes for the presentation, so it would have been impossible to go through each occurrence.

The target audience was broad, with a particular focus on college students, future public safety employees, and medical students. My goal was to raise awareness and educate people about the fact that medical mistakes can happen to anyone. Because it resulted in the death of a patient, this case was investigated further. My infographic is based on dated facts from the trial, as well as remarks from certain nurses. Fitting the words into each box without going over the allocated area was one of the presentation choices I had to consider. To get the words to show, I had to mess around with the size and relocate some of the stickers. There were no accessibility issues that made me change my infographic. My main takeaway from my presentation was that others should be aware of how this medical error resulted in a patient’s death, license revocation, and the amount of light it cast. It would be a deception to say that this exclusively affects the nursing industry. The job system is made up of a diverse range of professions known as public safety that pertains to us all.

References:

● https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/05/13/1098867553/nurse- sentenced-probation?utm_source=canva&utm_medium=iframely